When we visit aluminum plants on our global tours we ask to speak to maintenance department personnel. Why? We are we asked would we want to speak to the maintenance department. Because no other department faces as many different hazards on a daily basis then maintenance. Many times our presentations will be given at the end of one shift and then the beginning of the next shift. What do we talk about? We talk about the importance of following your training, never making assumptions, and never skip steps. Out all the traveling we do, we feel that these presentations are the most rewarding. It is our sincere hope that just as with this blog, that our presentations to maintenance departments prevent an incident from occurring. We will talk about this incident (without naming the company nor location) and discuss what had occurred and how to prevent a similar incident.
- Failed to isolate all sources of energy in or to the equipment.
- Did not protect employees from unexpected machine movements during maintenance.
- Lacked machine-specific lockout procedures.
- Failed to adequately train workers on proper lockout procedures.
- Failed to coordinate lockout procedures with an outside contractor.
- Did not correct illegible markings on a crane pendant control box.